That Time We Visited a Micronation

One of the great things about being part of a family is that we get to learn new things. Each person has unique interests. Often those interest grow or change over time. This is especially true with our kids. As their world of knowledge broadens, so do their interests.

Our son has developed an interest in micro-nations. What is a micro-nation? It's new to us too. A micro-nation is a created country. Our son and his friend have discovered a few of these micro-nations online. The founders of the nations may create a currency or a constitution for their country. Of course, the micro-nations are not recognized by the United Nations or other official governments, however, they may be recognized by other micro-nations.

If you do an online search, you find a plethora of micro-nations throughout the world.

During our winter school break, we visited family. Before the visit, my son discovered that one micro-nation was located near our extended family. He begged me to visit the Republic of Molossia. Honestly, I hesitated visiting the micro-nation. However, his begging continued, I gave in, and scheduled a visit to the Republic.



Initially, I emailed the President of the country. He responded quickly, telling me that the Republic was not open for visitation during that time. He did welcome us to go to the border of his micro-nation.

When I told my son we would visit the Republic of Molossia, he was over-the-top excited. He couldn't stop talking about it.

Before we went to the border, I did some Web research on the Republic. I found a number of pictures from the country. The founder has established a flag, a bank and currency, and a customs office. His micro-nation is within the boundary of the United States, and he pays taxes (which he calls foreign aid) to the U.S. He opens the nation up for tours during the Spring and Summer.

Knowing these things, I was somewhat prepared for what I would see at the border of the Republic. It was still a hoot to visit. We saw the flag flying from a flag pole. We parked next to the property line near a sign marked "Parking for Guests of the Republic of Molossia." My son promptly went to the sign pointing to the border of the United States and the Republic and insisted I get his picture at the border. We were able to see the custom house, the bank, the trading center, etc from the border.



It certainly was a fun and unusual visit. Never in my life did I think I would say that I was going to visit the border of a micro-nation within the United States. I wouldn't have gone if not for my son.

When we describe the visit to friends, we have to explain the whole idea of a micro-nation. I'm quick to explain that while I don't understand it, there are clearly worse things my son could invest his time in. He has created his own micro-nation and designed a flag. He wants to create a currency and a constitution. He is planning trade agreements with other neighborhood micro-nations (yep, they're springing up all over our hood).

 I can imagine many things worse than creating a nation, writing a constitution, and learning about government. It sure beats spending all of his time engaged in a video game, right?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbudget: The Best Tool for Creating and Living on a Budget

How We Changed Our Mindset to Clear the Clutter